Tuesday, May 10, 2011

My First Experience with the Gods

I have been a self-professed Heathen for roughly a year. However, until recently, I have never given any offering or really any acknowledgement to the Gods that I honour them, save for the occasional, "Hail Woden! Hail Donar!" etc. Here is my explanation of the fact that I know the Gods are real.

Around two weeks ago, roughly, I decided it was high-time to give an offering to the Gods that I claim to honour and revere. This day was an absolutely beautiful day, and fortunately, my Catholic aunt and uncle whom I live with were not home. Now, I didn't really have much to offer, and I have very little knowledge on how to perform a blót, so I wasn't planning on a formal offering. Just a simple, "I acknowledge you" type of offering. So I simply took a glass of milk, and mixed some real maple syrup with it. I took it out into the woods on my property, into a small clearing. I can't remember word for word what I said as the offering, but it was something like, "I offer this to the Gods of my Forefathers and the Spirits of the Land. I offer this that you may watch over and protect the area in which myself and my kin reside. Hail Odin, Thor, the Aesir, the Vanir, and the Spirits of the Land and Water, and of the Rivers and Streams." With that, I took a sip of the milk, and I poured the rest on the ground. The sun was beautifully shining, and there were few clouds. Yet as I walked out of the woods, the sun gently hid behind the clouds, not in an ominous way like one would normally expect, but in a way that suggested the sun was offering my the cool shade. At the same time, a beautiful, refreshing breeze blew directly at me and over my body. This to me was the first time any Gods of any sort had ever acknowledged me back, and accepted my offering, and I had experimented with a few religions before. I could feel within me that they accepted my offering, and it was a great feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment